July 22, 2008

What is your potential?

I am good at a lot of things...no modesty lost there. But I am lacking in the talent department. I have nightmares about a spotlight shining on me and the announcer saying, "And for the talent part of the evening..." I have no talent...can't sing, dance or play an instrument. And since I'm tone deaf, I'm thinking I can't learn. I like to draw...it isn't good, but I do it anyway. My art teacher in high school once looked at my drawing, then the still life and asked, "Is that what you really see?" Of course, I could be an expressionist.

I could do that.

I like to write, some people tell me I'm good. But I never get very far with it. Besides, I would never be one of those people that would read poetry, not even original work, and call it talent. Not that I don't think writers are talented...I'm envious, but it's not THAT kind of talent.

I often wonder if there is something maybe I'd be really good at if I'd been given the opportunity. What if...Maybe I could have been a great guitar player, if I'd ever taken lessons. It's unlikely, but what if? Maybe I am an artist...if I found the right medium. Maybe I should play in clay. I've always wanted to do that.

I wonder how many people have hidden talent that was never nurtured?

How sad.

No comments: