July 21, 2008

Nice guys don't care where they finish

I have never been one for introducing friends, trying to make a love match. Now that I think about it, I think I've done it twice...in high school. I introduced two of my friends to my ex-boyfriend...one of them ended up marrying him. That success however, has not led me to make a habit of making introductions. That slope is just too slippery and fraught with dangers.

I frequently hear women say they can't find a nice single guy. I don't understand, as I know a number of nice single men. Maybe it's because I'm not looking for Mr. Right and I'm getting to know these guys as friends. I think that may be the problem, they say they're looking for a nice single guy when what they want is someone that looks like they could grace the cover of GQ magazine. When what they should be looking for is a guy that will treat them well.

The qualifications:

1. a job...a stable, reliable job with a living wage
2. single...not married, engaged or involved
3. straight...for these particular purposes
4. lacking baggage...this can involve a lot of things depending on your preferences. Anything from crazy ex-wives, not having kids or prison records.
5. intelligence...this may be a personal preference, but I think he should be able to hold a conversation.
6. etc...this is where all the real preferences come in.

Forget GQ...look for what's really important to you. Sense of humor or adventure. Religious or political affiliations. Non-drinker. Ask yourself what is essential for your happiness.

No comments: