July 06, 2008

Making a living

How many times have you been asked what you do for a living?

Traditionally this means the person is asking about your job. My job is not what I do for a living, it is what I do so I can afford to live. What I do for a living, what gives my life meaning, is everything but my job. I am not my job. It does not represent who I am, except for maybe what degree I earned. Why are people interested in your job? I think it's usually a status symbol to many people...they want to know if you are important, or more importantly are they higher on the ladder than you. I think that is the bigger issue. Strangely enough, I can't tell you what many of my friends "do". I'd rather tell you what they enjoy, what is meaningful to them or about a time we spent together. When my friends all sit laughing and having fun together we're all equals.

No comments: