July 19, 2008

Entitlement

Why do so many people seem to have this sense of entitlement? Why do they think the world owes them? Nobody ever promised you a good life...or if they did, they lied. I see this all the time. I recently talked with a man that currently is in debt to my employer in excess of $177,000, and this amount is growing on a daily basis. He has no means of defraying any of this expense. What brought me to speak with him was the additional services he would require in the future. None of this is negotiable, it is absolutely required for his continued well being. I explain that I will be arranging his treatments at the cost of $244 a day for the next seven weeks, that's at cost. I'm offering nearly $12,000 of necessary services to him at no cost. Does he show gratitude? NO...he wants me to rearrange the time because it's inconvenient.

This drives me nuts. Honestly, I get maybe one thank you out of every 200 encounters I have. People take what I'm doing for granted and they often ask for more. Don't get me wrong, my job is not about the gratitude, it's about helping people, but you'd think less people would take for granted that someone was going to be there to solve all there problems. I often provide resources so they can pursue avenues to help themselves or to provide for discounted services and it's not good enough. They want to know why I won't call and arrange this for them? Or they tell me they can't afford the $1 co-pay.

I grew up believing what I got in this world I'd have to do for myself...and I was capable of accomplishing anything. I'm glad I wasn't taught to hold out my hand and eventually someone would take it...hopefully before I drowned. Somewhere along the line...all this ends up coming from our pockets.

No comments: