May 30, 2010

Sense of loss

I have a strange sense of loss. The eye surgery to remove my cataracts has corrected my vision. I am no longer near sighted, at least in the left eye. The other eye will be corrected in just over a week. I have been near sighted all of my life. My glasses have been the first and last thing of every day of memory. In the near future I won't need glasses to see distant vistas...but I will forever lose my near vision. The vision I have known. They say it takes a few weeks for everything to settle. Right now I can't even see my watch with the corrected eye. I wonder how I will ever thread a needle again?

This was not elective surgery. I was very rapidly loosing my vision. Hopefully I will adjust...no hoping, I will adjust. There is little option. Just a strange sense of loss. I am not new and improved...I am new and slightly broken. But it will get better.

No comments: