May 27, 2010

Eye surgery

Now that I can almost see...

I found out earlier this year that I had a hereditary form of cataracts. Fast growing, I was scheduled for surgery within months instead of years. I had the surgery on my left eye two days ago.

Prior to surgery I was extremely near sighted. Now my left eye is far sighted. I am wearing glasses with the left lens removed. Unfortunately, this is confusing my brain. I see better at distance on the left, but not 20/20 yet. I can't read on that side at all. There is a bizarre distortion and I am lacking depth perception...worse than before that is. I am extremely light sensitive. This morning I sat in the dark, wearing sunglasses, it took over an hour to get both eyes open and semi-focused.

I am  using 3 different drops, 3 times a day. One of those feels like soap. It's hard to do, but necessary. Especially since my cornea was scratched during the surgery. The right eye is scheduled 2 weeks after the first. I'm hoping it won't be so hard. At least both eyes will on the same page...far sighted.

No comments: