November 24, 2009

Saga of a tattoo

I got a new tattoo Saturday. It would be too long of a story to tell from the beginning...let's just say, it was a long time in the making. The idea started out, once upon a time, as a crescent moon and sun. An image I found myself drawn too, which might explain the frequency in which it is seen. That was a problem. I did not want something that was so common. The idea faded and resurfaced, only to be put away again. Then I started to look at it differently. What if I could have the same idea...but different. Eventually the crescent moon morphed into a dragon, another fondness of mine that is ubiquitous, and the sun into a phoenix. Immediately I knew I was on to something. I, however, lack all but rudimentary (stick figures) art skills. I took my idea to my tattoo artist. There is a reason they're called artists. He drew it up, we revised and the finished product was unveiled...on my back. I doubt anyone will ever look at it and see a sun and a moon. But I do. I see the moon fighting for it's place in the sky.

No comments: