November 08, 2009

Hot to trot

Long story, short version...someone was teasing me this weekend about being "hot to trot". I've heard the phrase many times but never directed at me. Later, I wondered to myself how the phrase is meant. Is it a compliment or an insult?

It's one of those phrases that you, kind of, sorta, think you know what it means. My first thought was the fact that horses are warmed up prior to running and therefore hot to trot. I wasn't sure how that became a sexual reference. So a little research was in order.

The general consensus of the online dictionaries: Ready and willing, eager. Sexually avid, lascivious. Both slangy usages allude to a horse eager to get going.

So I wasn't too far off on the horse thing. But I'm still not sure about the intention of the term.

I do like the term lascivious...characterized by or expressing lust or lewdness, wanton. Tending to excite lustful desires.

No comments: