November 17, 2009

Derogatory

It is very unfortunate when something in our lives suddenly takes on a new cultural meaning in society. I know a very sweet, demure, lady doctor...named Kevorkian. She has no relation to the infamous Dr Kevorkian, but imagine the reaction she gets every time she introduces herself. It only takes one person to defame a beloved family name. A few that come to mind...Hitler, Gacy, Manson. Imagine having the last name Mullet...especially if you had one.


During a recent conversation, I mentioned my intent to get a tattoo on my back. Someone asked, if I knew what that was called? I pointed out the fact that my tattoo would be between my shoulder blades...not in the region of the lower back. This particular person seemed to find the phrase, tramp stamp, quite amusing. I don't find the term amusing. It might be just a bit of a pet peeve, but I hate that something that was presumably important to someone...something permanent, has garnered such a negative connotation. If I ever were to get a tattoo on my lower back and someone called it a tramp stamp...I think I'd introduce them to another meaning of tramp.

No comments: