November 08, 2009

Let the good times roll

I attended a LARP yesterday for the first time in two years. What a wake up call.

For those uninitiated, a LARP (live action role playing) is a game that can take several forms, but basically you design, then portray, a character in a story. I like to think of it as live video gaming. Instead of running a character around in a virtual world, you have to drag your ass off the couch and actually DO something. That is exactly where the wake up call hit. I forgot how much walking I do at this particular LARP. The location is Camp Piomingo at Otter Creek Park. If you've ever been there, you know how big the place is (360 acres) and I I've walked from one side to the other and end to end...usually more than once during an event. This particular game runs from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. I just went out for 8-9 hours Saturday and still felt exhausted...happily exhausted. The weather was perfect and I was running around in the woods. I had really missed doing it but, as I said before, had forgotten about how physical it is. Walking, running, boffer (usually PVC pipe covered in foam and wrapped in duct tape to form a "weapon") fighting. But I really do feel better for the experience.

I think that is true with most things. We forget the little details for the pleasure of the experience. We look forward to the holidays...but we forget what an ass Uncle Larry really is until everyone gathers at the table. New Moms forget the morning sickness and miserable nine months at the sight of their newborns. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of our selective amnesia.


There probably won't be another event until Spring, but I hope to be there, running around in the woods, casting magic, wielding my foam sword and telling stories of great victories, fallen comrades and perhaps some treachery...and laughing, even if my feet hurt.

No comments: