May 21, 2012

Crime and punishment

If there were enough people reading my blog, I'm sure I'd get some grief for this one. First off, I will admit that I do not know all the facts. I watch the news...I don't think that means I know all the details. I'm just a little confused by two stories I heard tonight, one on the local, the other on the national news. I am expressing my confusion based on the stories as I perceived them. Now that I have completed the disclaimer...

On the local level, a high school teacher was sentenced to 10 years for, as I understand it, propositioning a 13 year old girl on Facebook. Propositioning. An inappropriate conversation. Yes, he was wrong. Yes, he was in a position of authority. But nothing in the news story indicates that there was ever physical contact. Nothing says pictures were sent. He propositioned her. She told her Dad, the police were called. Ten years? All I can think is there is more to the story they are not reporting.

Now in contrast...

A college student uses a "spy cam" to video tape his roommate. He broadcasts the roommate's "sexual encounter" live on the web, daring, his word, people on Twitter to view the live feed. Shortly after finding out about the video the 18 year old boy jumped from a bridge to his death. Because it was a gay encounter, there were accusation of a hate crime. This college student, was sentenced to 30 days and 3 years probation.

I do not know what the right answer, or sentence, is for these crimes. But they seem off to me, especially when contrasting the two. There doesn't seem to be any sense, logic, fairness.

No comments: