March 04, 2012

Mexico 2012

Just got home in the wee hours of the morning from the fourth trip to Mexico in the same number of years. And we've already started planning for next year...it just never gets old.

This is not a hotel review. I did that on tripadvisor.com this morning. This is my, "What I did on vacation" report.

We arrived at the resort early on Saturday, thrilled with our quick trip through Customs and Immigration. It made getting on a plane at 5:20 AM worth it. We spent a week laughing, eating, drinking and a few of us even got lost...even if they didn't know they were lost. I shopped  La Quinta Avenida in Playa del Carmen, a favorite place of mine. I snorkeled in Puerto Morales and saw a more fish than ever...and added a few new additions to my memory collection. I saw a yellow ray, some anemone, and a couple of conch...well, at least the shells. I tried a few new foods, not all with equal success. I saw the best fire show ever, and regret horribly not having my camera with me. I met a few great amigos that shared their time and some of their lives with us and made the trip that much more enjoyable. I was reminded not to judge a book by it's cover...at least when it comes to people. The Hispanic guy working the lobby bar in a Mexican resort...born in California, preparing for school at Georgia Tech. We discovered what it's like to be outnumbered, never before have I seen so many Canadians in one place.

I found the moon in Mexico...finally! I know this sounds bizarre but in my three previous trips, there was no moon to be found. So our last night there, we walked out on the beach and waited for the strangers to drift away...didn't want to frighten the normals, then we howled at the moon. I have waited four years to howl at the moon in Mexico. To make it even better, there was a resort employee, that had been out of my sight, further down the beach. He echoed the howl back to us!

It was a good week. It was hard to come home and it will be harder still to return to everyday life. The ocean calls to me. I can't wait to go back.

No comments: