March 31, 2012

Sangria

I am surprised at how often I am asked for my sangria recipe. It really is very simple and easy to match to taste. I prefer a white sangria as opposed to a red, but I think this would work for either.

I start with Mascato wine. This is a sweet white wine, so no need to add the sugar most recipes call for.

Next is the juice flavor(s) of your choice. This can be as simple as a half gallon of orange juice or pineapple juice. My last batch, I made with a juice cocktail called Mango Blast. It really depends on your tastes and whats available.

Next, is the secondary alcohol. I lot of sangria recipes call for brandy. I don't own brandy, never have. What I had around the house when I started making sangria was "99". This is a Schnapps that is available at just about any liquor store. It also comes in a wide variety of flavors...peaches, bananas, apples, oranges, blackberries and cherries. Pick a flavor that complements your juice. I used peach with my mango. Orange is good with pineapple juice and I've used banana with orange pineapple juice. The blackberries and cherries, I think would work well in a red. Anyway, this stuff is 99 proof and can add a nice kick to your sangria. I add about a cup. This can be adjusted for taste and tolerance.

Three ingredients. Mix and stir. A lot of people like to cut fruit up in their sangria, it isn't necessary, but I do think it adds just a touch more flavor...and it does make it look nice if you are serving guest. I prefer citrus fruits, usually lemons and limes. And if you like a little fizzy in your drink, pour in some Sprite. Very flexible drink, very individual...and very, very good.

No comments: