March 22, 2012

Silence is...best.

There was one of those uncomfortable conversations around the lunch table today. Basically, several people were discussing raising their children. One said she was raising her children Catholic. One said she was raising her kids Christian. The third said it was only important that children were given religious guidance, no matter what religion the parent's practiced. I, being the fourth person in the room, ate and kept quiet. It's funny, but it seems most people will accept that you are a different religion, but not if your are no religion. From their conversation I gathered that it would be impossible for me to have raised my children in an approved, appropriate, manner. I don't need your approval...and my children are just fine. Want to know what happens with kids without a religious upbringing?

They are told that people believe a lot of different things...and that's okay.
They are told that they need to decide what they believe...and that's okay.
They are told that there is right and wrong.
They are told there are consequences for their actions.

So what is different about the way I taught my children? My sons were introduced to lots of ideas. They were taught it was okay to question even my beliefs...to explore, to seek, to find...or not. They were taught that their actions could be harmful to others...and to themselves. They were taught some behavior was preferable and others forbidden. Their consequences were much more immediate than Heaven or Hell. There was no boogie man devil; just Mom and Dad, and God forbid, the police. Personally, I think that is a concept much easier for the child to grasp than the fire and brimstone of Hell. But, hey, that's just my opinion...kept to myself. I just kept eating.

No comments: