March 08, 2012

Where is Heaven?

I heard a commercial this morning on the radio, in which, the joke was the residents of Heaven kept losing items as they fell through the clouds.

We all know from an early age that Heaven is up. But up where? 

How often have you seen a depiction of Heaven in the clouds? I am sure before exploration took us above the clouds, that many people did, indeed, consider Heaven to be so close at hand. Well, having flown through and above the clouds, I assure you, as beautiful as it is, there is no Heaven to be found there.

The Bible is of very little help in locating Heaven...as apparently, according to some experts, there are three. There is the heavens of the Earth, our atmosphere; the heavens of outer space, where the planets reside; and the Heaven, capital H, where God resides. So Heaven is far away, in a place beyond our science...or is Heaven in another plane of existence altogether?

And if I look up to the heavens and wonder, I have to look down and wonder too...as we all know what is down as well as up.

But I find this even more confusing than searching the sky for Heaven because down is so limited. The mental image I always had was that Hell was inside the core of the Earth, as there is no place else down. And the Bible seems to confirm this idea. Now, I'm not an expert on anything, but it seems to me that our Earth has been studied and probed enough that science would have found Hell by now. Unless, of course, it too, is in some alternate universe at the core of the Earth.


I am not a big believer in Heaven or Hell, so why am I looking for them? I like to examine my beliefs every now and again, just to make sure I don't need to change what I think. It has happened. I learn. I get smarter. I challenge my logic. I do not believe, or doubt, blindly, but enlightened and informed. I can tell you more about religion than many believers. Some people say that faith is blind. I guess if that is the case, I'll never be among the faithful. I would love to find comfort there...but not until I can make sense of it.

No comments: