March 21, 2012

Jumping off a cliff

Nine months ago, I ran straight off the edge of a cliff with a parachute...a new job. I left 14 years of seniority for an opportunity that excited me. It wasn't long before I discovered I was on a rough road and I wondered if I had made a gigantic mistake. The change was good for me physically and mentally, but I needed an income and that was in jeopardy. Due to circumstances beyond my control, and even to many degrees beyond that of my employer. I found myself treading water...then drowning, as I was given a 90 day notice of separation. Well 60 days later I am running towards another cliff with the same parachute. But this time I am running backwards. Back to the previous employer, in, thankfully, a different capacity. I am more scared this time. I get my seniority back. I know all my future co-workers. I had even once considered this job, but didn't think I'd be selected for the position. It usually goes to high seniority employees. I am unsure why I feel so much trepidation. I can only guess, that it's because I was forced off this cliff. I feel that my decision was rushed, not of my choosing. I was so excited starting the last job and it ended prematurely...badly. Maybe my trepidation is a good sign of what the future holds. I hope. I'm getting too old for cliffs.

No comments: