March 29, 2012

What my job has taught me

I work in a hospital. I read charts and talk to people that are not at their best. I have learned to appreciate many things because of this experience.

If you have one person in the world that would miss you if you were gone, you are doing better than many.
If you have one person that would help you if you were sick and could not care for yourself, you are doing better than many.

If you can generally take care of yourself, express yourself and have all your limbs, count yourself lucky. So many things we take for granted...drawing a breath without effort, moving around independently, eating, among so many others.

People, even doctors, have wondered how I do what I do. How I deal with the pain I have everyday. I keep moving, keep pushing. I refuse to give up, to give in. I look around me everyday and know how lucky I am.

No comments: