June 03, 2011

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude

Nothing remains quite the same.


I don't think this is what Jimmy Buffett had in mind...and I'd much rather be writing about my impending trip sea side.


I start a new job in just over a week. I've known about it long enough to have contemplated the many changes that will occur. Way too many to go into...and boring to boot. But there is one that I wanted to look at a little closer. And when I want to examine my own head, I write. So here goes...


I have worked 14 years at an organization that is based on/ran by/identifies with the Jewish faith. I have learned much and highly respect their beliefs. I am soon going to work at a facility ran by the Catholic faith. A religion I gave up several decades ago. This isn't so much about beliefs, as it is the outward manifestations. At the Jewish owned building there is little to remind you, that you are indeed inside a building that holds close ties to Judaism. There are a couple of murals, prayers I believe, written in Hebrew. If you pay attention you may see a Yarmulke. During holidays, such as Passover there are special foods offered in the cafeteria and during Hanukkah a Menorah is displayed. It is very easy to forget the roots of the organization.


The new facility, however, is totally different. On my brief tour there, it was undeniably Christian. I think there was a cross or crucifix in every room I walked into...including the offices. I am curious to see as I spend more time there, what other manifestations of Catholicism appear. I know there are nuns there. I believe some may even reside on premises. 


I am curious to see how the holidays are different. Jewish do not celebrate Christmas, so no Christmas decorations were allowed...only "winter themed" ones. Easter is not a holiday. We were, however, allowed to mark Halloween within certain loose guidelines. I suspect at a Catholic organization that Christmas and Easter will be big deals...and Halloween (a pagan holiday) likely banned. We shall see. I will admit that I think I might like seeing the Christmas decorations...as long as they don't show up in October, as they do in the stores.


But then...



No comments: