June 11, 2011

Out with the old, in with the new.

That is usually the sentiment at New Years. Time to recreate, get back on track, start anew. Resolutions are made and broken...as soon as the hangover fades. I gave up on resolutions a long time ago. I know where my weaknesses are.

The prospect of starting a new job, however, has me all ready to set off down a new path. I have changed purses...I did resist buying a new one, as I had a perfectly good one. I have reset my alarm clock. I get to sleep 35 minutes later! That would be much better news, if my sleep cycles weren't screwed to hell at the moment. Sleeping in a three hours down, one hour up, cycle, um, yeah...sucks. I have bought new pants. I needed scrubs. I recently bought new tee shirts. I have ordered lab coats...paid for by the company, thank you very much. I've bought new socks. I want new shoes, but keep telling myself that I really do not need them...I don't, I swear.  I've had my hair cut and colored. Though that had nothing to do with  the job, just routine maintenance. I want to go wash and clean out my car. Why? I have no idea. Washing the old job away and down the drain? I am greatly reminded of the "going back to school mode" from being a kid. New school year, new stuff. I need to pack my bag for all the stuff that will be at home in my new desk. I remind myself not to look like I am moving in on my first day there...to take it slow. Essentials first, then slowly move in. Don't want to scare them. Which brings up a whole new thought...

I'm weird. I know this...and embrace it. Not everyone does. I know, I know, I don't get it either. But I have seen that look one time too many when people try not to freak out when they discover they are among the strange and unusual of humanity. I have tried to be different...it doesn't work. Just like resolutions, eventually my true self makes an appearance. What makes me weird? Well at least by normal standards...one, I have a quirky sense of humor. Not everyone gets it. Example: I call a company yesterday and identify myself by first name and my company and city. The lady on the other ends says, "They ask me to get a last name." I respond, "Do you need mine or will any last name do?" I get dead silence. I thought it was hilarious and well...obvious.

Second, I have strange, again by many standards, hobbies. The Ren Faires most people will let pass. There are those that would go and those that would not...but they don't find it highly unusual. On the other hand, dressing up to go to movies (pirate for Pirates of the Caribbean, etc), larping, Jello Wars and such, raises an eyebrow or two. I embrace the uniqueness of my hobbies and like most people that enjoy what they do, I like to share. But...

I will be working in a tiny...tiny office....seven people, including me, max. I need to fit in, if only that it will make the office more comfortable for everyone. I need to be quasi normal...for a while anyway. On the other hand, two of those people have known me in all my odd ball glory for five years or more. They know who I am...or what. And they are the bosses. Maybe the office will be expecting my brand of odd. Guess I'll have to play it by ear...too bad I'm tone deaf.

No comments: