September 29, 2010

I am so proud

It did not occur to me until today how proud I am of my son. His son was born this past weekend. He is not married, he isn't even dating the Mom...they tried, it just wasn't meant to be. But he stepped up. He never denied the baby, he didn't walk away. He has been an active participant in her pregnancy. Going to doctor visits and birthing classes. He stood by her side through 10 hours of labor. He held her hand through contractions, he got her ice...he talked to her belly. He cut the cord. He whispered, "I love you" to his son. He stayed at the hospital with them for 4 days while they ran tests to make sure the baby was okay. Last night he stood in my living room talking about sterilizing bottles, umbilical and circumcision care and I wondered, who are you? This is not my reckless son, instead I saw a very proud Dad...a man. I hope this is the beginning of wonderful things for him.

No comments: