September 09, 2010

Ever wonder...

about the erectile dysfunction (ED) commercial when they state, if you have an erection that lasts longer than four hours to seek immediate medical attention.


I did. So I asked a doctor I knew. He didn't know. So I asked a few more, all confused...about the treatment or by my curiosity. Knowing anatomy as well as I do (Points to self---nurse), I couldn't imagine any treatment that was going to be less than miserable. If for no other reason than sheer embarrassment.


This medical condition is called priapism. It occurs outside of the use of ED medications and from what I have heard is very painful.


According to my.clevelandclinic.org the treatment options, once you find a doctor that knows what to do, include...
  • Ice packs: Ice applied to the penis and perineum may reduce swelling.
  • Surgical ligation: Used in cases where an artery has been ruptured, the doctor will ligate (tie off) the artery that is causing the priapism in order to restore normal blood flow.
  • Intracavernous injection: Used for low-flow priapism, during this treatment drugs known as alpha-agonists are injected into the penis that cause the veins to narrow reducing blood flow to the penis causing the swelling to subside.
  • Surgical shunt: Also used for low-flow priapism, a shunt is a passageway that is surgically inserted into the penis to divert the blood flow and allow circulation to return to normal.
  • Aspiration: After numbing the penis, doctors will insert a needle and drain blood from the penis to reduce pressure and swelling.
That just makes me cringe. This is what happens when curious minds inquire. And aren't you glad I shared?


I will warn you, just in case you happen to be reading this cross-eyed because of inflammation in your nether region and you think you'll just grab an ice pack and save yourself embarrassment and further pain...this is a medical emergency and your future "potential" is at risk. The sooner you are treated, the better your odds of um...returning to your previous activity.

Now go wash your hands.

No comments: