September 08, 2010

Burn Bibles?

I have recently seen snippets about a Florida preacher planning to burn the Koran on September 11th, in some manner of commemoration/protest. I say snippets, as I seldom ever turn the TV on and this idea just seems too stupid to me to investigate further. Generally speaking, I am against the destruction, in any manner, of books. Though I have read a few that I wondered how they ever made it to bookshelves…but I am sure they found an audience somewhere. Books are a valuable commodity to me, even if I don’t like them or disagree with their philosophy. The Bible holds no special meaning for me, it is a book, full of wondrous stories of miracles. I keep my family Bible out of sentiment. I have never had the opportunity to read the Koran, and doubt I would understand it. But I respect people’s emotional attachment to them both…and the freedom this country was based on to allow everyone the right to their beliefs. I can’t help but wonder how the preacher feels about the Bible being burned. Essentially that is what he is condoning, the destruction of a religious manuscript. Different religion, same artifact. I also realize this country allows him the freedom to burn a book of his choosing. I hope the Muslim community will not lump us all together. Unfortunately, this type of behavior, will most affect those Muslims most like this Florida preacher…extremist, narrow minded and bigoted. If there is a God, of any race, shape, color or creed, may he protect us from these idiots.

No comments: