July 03, 2011

A view from my window

I shared a belief with a friend recently that was experiencing some family turmoil. In a world of blended, half, step and even ex families there can be so many confused emotions and relationships. Especially for young children. (I have a friend that calls his step kids, bonus kids...it sounds so much better). I grew up with "Aunts" that were my grandmother's elderly neighbors. They loved me.

I have an entire family now of odd ball relations. I have a sister that is an only child...just like me. She is also my husband's alternate wife. That means she can boss him around and he does manly chores for her. I am her daughter's step-mommy-girlfriend. I have a twin brother...formerly conjoined twin, that is, from another life. He is my sister's son-in-law and married to my step-daughter-girlfriend. Are you scratching your head yet?

We've decided, chosen to be, "related". We are the non-biological family. We are happier together than apart.

Family is made of love, not blood.

No comments: