July 27, 2011

To complete that thought...

I realized my last post was more like an outline of my thoughts. It's been a few days...I have moved on. But one thing keeps coming back to haunt me. I met a very debilitated lady recently that told me she was on disability for fibromyalgia. It wasn't the first time. I have fibromyalgia. I refuse to be disabled. I suppose the severity of the disease could vary. I also suppose that I could just be stubborn as hell. I have had a number of doctors comment that they don't know how I do what I do. I have been told to apply for disability...in 1998, actually. Right after the car wreck that shifted disc around in my neck and my lower back. I was 6 months out of nursing school and they tell me I can't do the work with my neck and back injured. I refused surgery and went back to work. I worked at the bedside for another 4 1/2 years.

Am I in pain? Yes. But guess what? Sitting around, being a lump on a log, does not make me feel better...quite the opposite in fact. The more active I am, the more I push myself, the better I feel. Eventually, I get worn down and I need a break...but then I'm right back to pushing the envelope.

No comments: