December 16, 2013

Letters

There was a time, when the only way to communicate with someone far away, was by letter. Then came other forms of communication, and the world got smaller. With the invention of the phone, people could communicate verbally, and letter writing, once, almost an art form, fell to the wayside. However, when I was growing up, calling long distance was an unnecessary expense not approved by my parents, so I wrote letters. I still have many of those wonderful letters. Two people telling their story on paper. Words thought through to express just the right emotion...much like my blog, now that I think about it. I had one friend that illustrated his letter with drawings, the envelopes were so elaborate the mailman once asked about them. With cell phones, we have come almost full circle. People no longer talk, they text. But instead of beautifully written letters, heartfelt, or colorfully illustrated letters sent between people that have a bond not lost to distance, we have textese. A short hand communication that has escaped it's boundaries into everyday life. I fear there is a whole generation of people that no longer know how to communicate in any true, proper, form. I don't miss talking on the phone. The phone ringing, mostly serves as an intrusion into my daily life. Seldom is it someone that I want to share my time with. I communicate with friends, family and loved ones, mostly online, sharing through keystrokes instead of ink on the page. I wonder if cell phones became "pocket computers" without the capability of making a phone call, if anyone but telemarketers would care? And I wonder, is that a good thing?




No comments: