March 11, 2010

Pro-choice

Pro-choice is a term frequently used to identify half of the abortion debate, but this is not about abortion. This is about life. I am pro-choice in life. I think the government is getting too muddled up in the day to day of our lives. How I live, or how I die, should be my choice. I should have the freedom to make decisions. I am a semi-educated human being over the age of 18. If I want to sit down with a spoon and eat trans-fat...my choice. If I want to sprinkle salt on it first...my choice. If I want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet...my choice. No, these are not smart choices, but the government isn't my mother and shouldn't be dictating to me the rights and wrongs of better living.

I understand where the government is coming from. I am after all  a nurse. If you eat wrong or participate in dangerous activities you have a higher risk of being a burden on the healthcare dollar. And believe me, healthcare doesn't need additional burdens. But instead of passing laws telling me all the things I can't do, educate me to make better choices. I mean, I wear a seatbelt now. I would, even if the law was repealed. And on that subject, I believe seatbelt laws and child safety seats are excellent for the protection of children.

I know salt can cause all kinds of maladies but I'm still going to eat it...my decision, my consequences. If I develop hypertension, maybe I'll rethink my decision. And if a law is passed that restaurants can not add salt to food (Can you imagine McDonald's fries without salt?) I will just add twice as much myself.

Besides the government should have much more pressing issues to deal with...and perhaps they should clean up their own house before trying to butt into mine.

Land of the free...remember?

No comments: