March 27, 2010

In the middle

Why do we have middle names? It isn't like most of us use them, and for some strange reason, they often seem to be a source of embarrassment.

My parents chose to use my middle name as the moniker in which I am identified. This has caused me endless problems, as the world seems bound, damned and determined that I WILL use my first name...my God given name, as I have heard it referred to. Quite honestly, I doubt God really cares what name I use.

There were teachers in school that insisted on calling me by my first name, then complained that I was ignoring them. They could have picked any random name and tried getting my attention with as much success. It just wasn't something I recognized...unless my mother was yelling and strung my entire name together. At which point, I knew my ass was grass and she was planning to be the lawn mower (ever wonder where those phrase come from?)

When I started my current job, they asked what name I wanted on my name tag. I wrote my middle name, MY name...they put my first name. Surprising as it would be to most people, 13 years ago I wasn't as brash as I am today. Today I would make them change it. Back then, I just clipped it on and went on my way. It took me a while to realize, why I always felt like I was in trouble...the only time I'd ever really heard that name.

Now, I am used to it. It's actually kind of nice, having a work identity and a home identity. Of course, add in the half dozen nicknames I've picked up and I have a name, and a personality, for every occasion.

But still I wonder, where and why did the practice of middle names come into vogue? I'm guessing you needed a Jim Bob to differentiate from Dad Jim and Grandpa Jim cause nobody in the family had an ounce of creativity.

Maybe I'll ask the smartest person I know...Google.

No comments: