January 17, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

I have always been curious about the story of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. There seems to be so many bits of the story in the social consciousness, and in my own, but I could not remember having actually read the book or even seen a movie about Alice and company. It absolutely amazes me that a story written in 1865 has had such staying power. I just finished Alice in Wonderland and still have Through the Looking-Glass to read. I have my doubts that the book is why so many people know these characters. The book is really limited on the depth of the characters. Yes, I realize it is a children's book. And now I realize why my recollections of the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Cheshire Cat seemed to be snippets...that's all that's really there.

I am also amazed by how extensively the book, and the life of Lewis Carroll, have been dissected. There are books, volumes of books, about this short children's story and it's author. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't know. But I found the story to be a little disappointing. I wanted more than I already had...and it's just not there.

Maybe Through the Looking-Glass will add something, maybe not. Maybe I read these stories ages ago and just forgot. The art work seems really familiar to me. I'm betting there was something "Disney" along the way. That is why everyone knows Alice's adventure.

There is an Alice in Wonderland movie (with Johnny Depp) opening in March. It looks bright and interesting. Hopefully it will be more interesting than the book...and that is a sad, sad thing.

No comments: