October 18, 2013

Something new

I need to find my way back into this. I enjoy writing, for a variety of reasons. I don't know why I have been absent. I think of topics, but they slip away before I have a chance to think them through.

I've been thinking a lot about being a parent. It is a no win situation. No matter what you do, you're wrong...or so it seems. My mother was a control freak. I decided I would not smother my children. I bet, if asked, they'd say I was not involved enough. Someone told me recently, that their daughter, after dropping a bomb shell, was upset that her parents weren't. They were not upset enough. But I'm sure, if that had become upset, they would have been overreacting.

Parenthood comes without instruction. We all do the best we can with the tools we have. My children only have a small idea of the childhood I had. They have no real clue that most of the decisions I made, were in contrast to the way I was raised. My Mom was not raised in a family, having been turned over to a girl's home at some point in her life, so I think she had no clue how to raise a child. I only knew enough to know that, even though I turned out fairly well, the way about it, wasn't quite right.

I guess there are people out there that think their parents did a fantastic job...I just don't know them.

No comments: