February 01, 2013

China

Dishes...not the country.

I was given a set of china when I married. I put it away for special occasions. That is what my mother did with her china. That was my understanding of what everyone did with fine dishes. In nearly 33 years, it has been used, maybe three or four times. My family doesn't really do special occasions. It was pulled down a few times for Thanksgiving...the food wasn't better. I'm not sure anyone even noticed. I always hand washed it, took extra care of it...because it was china.

I am reevaluating my stance. My son is looking to buy a house, and I'm sending my everyday dishes with him. I am going to put the china in the cabinet and use it. If it gets broke, and I'm sure it will, oh well. What am I waiting for? Do I not deserve to eat off fine dishes every day?

No comments: