September 30, 2011

Life's highlight reel

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Those moments in time that just seem to replay over and over. Not just memories...but life's highlights.

I have memories, like everyone, good and bad. I have regrets for things done...and not done. Some memories fade away to resurface later. I am always surprised to realize I have forgotten some event...until something triggers the memory.

But that's not what I'm thinking on.

How to explain?

These are the bits and pieces of life that I hold near and dear. The frequently visited. The often examined...and relived. But not in full light. Somethings should never be looked upon directly in broad daylight. Overexposure ruins the film.

I think if someone asked me to be specific about one of these moments, I might have difficulty. They come unbidden, resurfacing and floating through memory. I think most often when my mind in uncluttered with other trivialities. Maybe they are turning points or guideposts along the road. Maybe because good emotions are attached...but then, not always. Maybe it's unfinished business. I am sure they have some purpose, or they wouldn't recur so frequently on the Ferris wheel of my memory.

Have I explained the Ferris wheel? Maybe another time.

No comments: