July 04, 2010

Amazed

I spoke to a young woman, a friend of my son, last night and she said something that has remained with me. She recently survived a forty foot fall from a waterfall. As she climbed to the top, the rocks gave way. An accident that should have killed her, and did buy her much time in the hospital and continued therapy. What she said, that struck me, was her plan to have the waterfall tattooed on her back. At first, I wondered why she would want to permanently commemorate such an event on her body. But as she raised her shirt and showed me the nasty scar that stretched across her abdomen, I realized the water fall had already left physical marks...nasty, angry, permanent marks. I didn't ask her her reasoning. But as I thought about it again this morning, I realized that the tattoo would show the beauty of the place that had drawn her to climb those rocks. Maybe even a reminder of what she had survived. A reminder of her strength.

No comments: