July 17, 2010

Does experience count?

Having been married over 30 years, I never did internet dating. I have, however, poked around in a few with single friends. Some of the questions are so weird...and useless. I guess they are trying to poke into some deep psychological space, I don't know. It seems there could be more appropriate questions.

I remember seeing my husband eating ketchup on his fried chicken shortly after we got married. I was shocked! It didn't gross me out...as ketchup on scrambled eggs does, but we had dated for two years. How did I not know this? I often used this as an example with friends that proclaimed they knew everything about their mate. After 30 years, we each still occasionally surprise the other.

Actually what set my mind to this subject, was my tossing and turning, like a fish on dry land, trying to get comfortable in bed. I pull on the comforter, turning this way and that, covering and exposing body surfaces. I can NOT stand to have the foot of my bed tucked in...can not, can not, can not. When I stay at a hotel, the first thing I do is pull the sheets free. Imagine if I married a man that required a neat, pristine, made bed. We would drive each other insane. But I would never have thought to ask him. 

We also, in the beginning, disagreed about where the bed goes in the room and which side we each slept on. Changing sides is easy for some, not so much for others.

There are so many issues when you decide to share your space with someone else. Who knows maybe those psychological questions are valid. I've been married for 30 years, what do I know?

No comments: