June 25, 2010

I win

Every now and then you just have to dig your heels in and insist on what you want. Sometimes, you might just get it. I seem to get my way more than the average bear, according to the reactions of my friends. If I don't like something I say so. If someone makes the grand mistake of asking what I want, I usually have a pretty good idea...and I shoot for the moon. If they want to negotiate, I have a little wiggle room. I don't scream and cuss...people tune you out when you do. They can discount you as crazy or irrational. I talk in a calm, moderated...some would say, unemotional (cold as ice) voice. I am logical in my disagreement with them. I will use their own words against them. Give me the opportunity to write a letter, where I can carefully chose my words and it will cut like a knife. I ask for what I want and tell them why they will give it to me. A simple phrase like, "I don't think so." can go along way. You'd be surprised at the reaction when they are expecting you to nod your head and just go along.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not an argumentative person. I am not arguing just for the sake of it. Many people would not believe this, but I am generally not aggressive. I have an extroverted personality and I say what I think, but I generally am not confrontational. I let little things slip by...maybe even a few moderate things. But when something big comes along, especially if I feel like I'm being taken advantage of...or God forbid, treat me like I am stupid, look out. I'm all in, claws and teeth, going for the throat...in a nice, calm, ice cold sort of way.

No comments: