June 09, 2010

The eyes have it

I had surgery on my second eye yesterday. I now know the procedure is called phacoemulsification.  What a difference from the first eye two weeks ago! Surgery yesterday, driving today. Eyes open. Minimal pain...no, not pain, just pressure. Like a mild headache. No tearing. No running from the light like a vampire about to perm. 


The procedure itself was a little rougher. It seems none of the pre-op meds had much of an effect...except the numbing drops. Thank God for the numbing drops. I remember the procedure in it's entirety. Minimal pain, but immense pressure. I will admit that the procedure was less uncomfortable than the recovery of the first eye. It had to be the scratched cornea that caused all the discomfort.


So now, for the first time in my life, I see 20/20. I am, however, farsighted. I can not see clearly within about four feet. This will be a new experience all together. My solution to things I can't see...get closer, no longer works. It will take time to adjust.

No comments: