June 11, 2010

Decorating advice 101

Do not place a reflective material of any kind across from the toilet.

Seems logical huh? Basic common sense? You'd be surprised.

I ran into this recently (again) in a public restroom. A hand towel/garbage receptacle was placed on the wall directly across from where I sat contemplating my outlook on life. It's polished brass surface, giving me a golden, slightly skewed, reflection of myself. I found this somewhat disconcerting but had limited options on where to gaze. Okay, I guess some forgiveness may be allowed in public facilities. Limited space to accommodate the most needs of all individuals...and all that crap.

As I mentioned previously, this was not the first time I'd ran into this somewhat uncomfortable position. I once went into a friend's bathroom, only to find myself staring at a very clear reflection of myself in the mirrored shower door...mere inches from my knees. I sat there wishing I had not turned the lights on. Could anyone possibly find this...um, comfortable, normal, interesting? When I exited the bathroom, the friend asked how I liked that mirror. Apparently it had not been his doing, but he was used to the uncomfortable reaction of his friends.

I could see how this could happen actually. The desire for a full length mirror in the bathroom with no place to hang one. Spying mirrored shower doors at the local home store, thinking what a wonderful solution. Never realizing the placement in relation to other objects in the room until sometime after the installation. The manufacturer is not going to label their box with a warning. "Do not hang directly across from toilet causing friends and family embarrassment." or "Placement across from toilet may cause endless amusement to toddlers. Manufacturer not responsible for subsequent damage or future psychotherapy."

No comments: