October 15, 2014

A Nurse's perspective on Ebola...

Yes, Ebola is scary. Being a person that works in a hospital, I don't want it where I work. Being a person that flies, I don't want to share space with sick people. The news from Africa is horrible. I won't deny any of this. But to give it a bit of perspective...

The latest WHO numbers is 4,447 deaths for Ebola. According to the same group (WHO) there are about 250,000 to 500,000 yearly deaths from the FLU. Flu kills millions during epidemic years. Estimates, from the CDC, is that 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people die in the US alone from the flu. All that, with vaccines.

There are a lot of issues going on, from superstition to corruption, that is daunting efforts to control the Ebola outbreak. I am concerned for the infrastructure here to handle an epidemic. Dallas wasn't able to handle the isolation of one patient. Evidenced, by the fact, that they have two healthcare workers now testing positive.

I am not saying, don't worry. I think we all need to pay attention to what is going on in the world. It is scary stuff. But keep perspective.

And get a flu shot.



No comments: