July 22, 2012

Colorado

I've taken a few days to let all of this percolate through my brain...the shooting at the Colorado theater. People are killed by violence everyday, even sometimes in multiples. It makes the news, it passes through our thoughts and we move on. So why do incidents like this shooting at the premiere of Dark Knight Rises resonate with the public consciousness? Why are we still considering it days later? Besides, of course, the never ending news coverage. I don't think it's the senselessness or the violence. Or the why? I think it's the vulnerability. You are not safe. Anywhere. 

I have read a lot about the story on news media and social networks. Reading people's thoughts and reactions. It always amazes me that people will express an opinion, when it is obvious from their statements, that they have no clue as to what happened. Are they not paying attention, or just jumping to a conclusion...or do they just twist the events to meet their needs to be judgmental? 

I have seen many comments made about the people that dressed in costume for the movie. Most of them negative. Not that the people in costume had anything to do with the shooting. I've seen it reported that the owner's of the theater are going to ban costumes. My first thought was, define costume. If I want to wear all black to a vampire movie, is that a costume? Or are they going to ask me to open my mouth so they can check for fangs? Because my fangs are so dangerous. What about a purple wig to Hunger Games? I can, sort of, understand the concern about masks...but from what I have read, none of this had anything to do with the shooting. 

I have read many comments from people, that at least claim, to have a concealed carry permit. They grouse that they can't carry their guns into the theater. They state they since they have a carry permit they should be allowed to protect themselves and be allowed to carry their weapon wherever they go. I don't have a carry permit and I'm not sure how I feel about returning to the days of the wild west when everyone was armed. I have cheered the common man that has protected himself against those that meant him harm. But in a dark, crowded theater, where people are panicked and running, I think more people shooting, would have led to more people dead or wounded...plus in this case, the shooter was probably better armored than SWAT. 

I saw a news agency ask the question if this would change people's habit of going to theaters. Some people answered, yes. I don't understand. That's like saying your going to quit driving because someone was in a car accident. I refuse to let the violence change my life, I feel like that is letting them win. I fly. I go to work and the mall. But I am more aware of people around me, especially when they are being verbally threatening. I see this at work, and think to myself, "Will this be the one that comes back and shoots the place up?" But then, I go on. On another note, I wonder if the news media is making news when they ask a question like that, stirring up fear. Or are they just expressing the fear that is already there?

I saw on Facebook a suggestion that Christian Bale, dressed at Batman, should visit the children that were injured, to show them there were heroes too. Personally, I would think after this experience that seeing Batman walk in, might be a little traumatic. Besides, it isn't Batman that comes to the rescue in real life. The heroes are the people that covered others with their bodies, the people that carried others out and the police officers and others that ran into that theater...real people.

My condolences to the families, friends and loved ones of those involved. I even include the family of the shooter. It was not their fault, but their lives will never be the same either...and they are unlikely to get the community support. 

No comments: