February 22, 2012

Coloring life

When my sons were small we would often sit at the table and color. My oldest son frequently told me that I was doing it wrong. When asked, why? He would patiently explain to me that everybody knew the sky was blue, so I couldn't color the sky purple...or green...or orange. Pink grass! Oh my! How scandalous! I explained it was my coloring book and I could make things any color that I wanted. He would just shake his head and go back to his perfectly ordered world where everything was, just the way it was expected to be.

I am a firm believer that life should not be so orderly, so predictable. I can't change the color of the sky but I don't have to live life in a paint by number world.

Life is more like finger painting. A tentative first dip of a finger into a color, leading to handfuls of color, then more colors...all swirling together to create something unique and beautiful...one of a kind. Life should be your's, your design, by your hand, not something set up by the rules of others. Why must I stay within the lines? Or even on the paper? Why must I be limited? The sky is the limit...even if it must be blue.

No comments: