May 02, 2011

The death of a terrorist

I am not an expert. I don't watch the news regularly or generally follow politics. I found the news of Osama bin Laden's death on Facebook not CNN. He was, in my opinion, a crazed man that twisted religion to support, and gather followers, for his subversive ideas. But I find the celebrations in the streets following the announcement of his assassination unsettling. It feels wrong to celebrate death.

I spent a little time looking around the internet this evening...even CNN. I listened to the local and national news. I wondered what other people thought and felt. The range of emotions were wide, from cheering in the streets to quiet reflection. I looked inside myself and asked, how do I feel about this?

Am I glad he's dead? Yes, I believe I am.
Do I believe his death will make a difference? I fear not. There is always another radical willing to step up. They'll just make him a martyr. I fear retaliation.
Should it have been done? I think I would have rather he was captured...but that would have just led to a long drawn out legal battle and all sorts of security issues. This probably was better. After all, it's already been 9 1/2 years since the attacks in 2001.
Do I feel better about the celebrations? No.

I have come to a conclusion with my soul searching. I'd like to think the people are cheering, not because a man was killed, but because of the perceived end of the evil he stood for.

Naive? Perhaps.

No comments: