January 01, 2011

2011

Happy New Year

Again

Why do we hold such hope that the new year will bring something better? Great job, lose weight, find love, whatever...it is all possible with a brand new year. I guess the optimism makes for a much better New Year's Eve party. Like many things we add value to, the marking of a new year is a man-made event without any type of mystical significance. We get to throw out the old calendar and hang a new one. We have to learn to write a new number designation on everything. And we make resolutions that usually fade quicker than learning to write the new year. I partied with friends last night. Took down the Christmas tree this morning, for no other reason than it was time. I'll get around to the new calendar eventually. I won't be eating special food today for luck...NO corned beef, black eyed peas or whatever it's supposed to be. I'm not making resolutions. Instead, I'd like to say thank you to my husband for making my life what it is. We have influenced each other greatly over 30+ years. To my sons, I wish you happiness, contentment and safe passage in the new year. To my grandson, that is way too young to understand, the next year will hold more wonders and learning experiences...everything is new and shiny. So many firsts. Last, but definitely not least, I want to thank my friends for keeping me sane and occupied. You have touched my life...and, in some cases, me, in more ways than I could ever imagine. I am happy that you have allowed me to share in your life. So, happy new year everyone...may it be all that you desire.

No comments: