September 12, 2009

Life

Life from the beginning looks all new and exciting...all endless possibilities. We set our feet on a path with that first tentative step towards independence. At the other end, a lifetime viewed by other people appears to be a straight line from the beginning. People look back along that straight line and remember the events that occurred as the person traveled along that line.

I guess I am somewhere in the middle of the trip. I look back and see the line that got me to where I am and I look forward at a path that is vague, not yet set in stone. However, as I look back along that line I realize that is was never a straight line, but more one with feathered edges...all the paths not taken. Some crossroads are more distinct than others...conscious choices I made to do this, not that. Things that may have had a significant impact on the here and now, except, I suspect, there would not be a here and now if I had turned left instead of right. Sometimes I wish I had explored a little further down one of those veins...but I wonder what other events would have been set in motion. I can see so many places my roads could have taken me and I wonder if I would have been happier, sadder? Would I have so many wonderful people in my life? Different people? And every step down a different path would not only have effected me but every life I have ever touched...would they be happier? I am sure I have made a difference. I am not so sure it has always been positive.

There is no way to know what life could have been...or what it will be. I see a shimmering path to the horizon, like heat off payment on a sweltering summer day. I take steps forward, one foot in front of the other, knowing that the edges are feathered with options all around. Around every corner there may be a crossroads, a life decision, that may not even seem important until looked back upon. But standing still is not an option. So I set off down the yellow brick road and I hope that in the end when someone looks down my straight line they will find things to admire, laughs shared and stories to tell. I hope that I have done more good than harm.

No comments: