August 04, 2008

It's not you, it's me

Helloooooo...contrary to your belief system the world does not revolve around you!

I realize you think you are the center of the universe, the axis on which everyone bases their lives. I hate to break this to you...but you're wrong.

People do not behave in a manner just to please or annoy you.

Every head does not turn as you walk by to admire or scorn you.

Yes, I believe being self centered can go both ways. It doesn't necessarily mean you are egotistical. It can also mean you think people are out to get you, to beat you, to one-up you. Why in the world would everyone notice you? Why are you so important that they have to be better than you? I hate to break this to you, but in the large scheme of things, you're pretty freaking invisible.

This brings me to another recent thought and someone that apparently can't be invisible...Mylie Cyrus.

I do not follow star news. But you can't eat or breathe in this country without hearing some tidbit or another about Mylie, Brittney or Paris...to name a few. Some of the crap they bring on themselves...but I would hate to be living in that fishbowl.

Can you imagine being 15 (I think Mylie is 15) and living your life under the scrutiny of the world? Growing up is hard. The teen years are awkward, a time of discovering who you are. I sure the hell wasn't a role model for anybody, nor did I want to be. It was all I could do to keep my head above water.

There is no way to be grounded in that environment. Paris appears to be a good example of egotistical, while Brittany may have fallen to the other end of the spectrum. Of course they have public support in their beliefs that the world actually does revolve around them...they just need look out their windows.

So, unless you got up this morning and found paparazzi on your lawn...get over it. Most everyone is just going about living their lives the best way they know how.

It really isn't about you.

No comments: