May 12, 2014

With a heavy heart...

my Uncle Sammy was buried today. The last of my father's siblings. There is nothing left of that side of my family except cousins, that I see at funerals, like today. There aren't even weddings or holidays anymore. My family has become the one I made, blood and otherwise. My uncle was a lot of things, including a jerk per my father. I never saw that part of him. I have many fond memories of summer at his house in Waddy with my cousin, Cissy, and my grandmother. I was most proud of him being a State Trooper. They honored him today with a color guard. The three officers looked like babies, and I was sad to think that none of them actually knew him. They were just going through the motions. It brought back so many memories of my grandfather's funeral. My uncle was an active trooper back then, I was 8. I remember the motorcycles, lights flashing, that proceeded the funeral procession, they seemed to go on forever. An onlooker would have surely thought that is was the funeral for a state dignitary. Of course, to us, it was.

It's scary to think that we, my cousins and I, are now the oldest living generation of the family.

RIP Uncle Sammy. They say you are never truly gone as long as someone remembers you. You are safe as long as I live.

No comments: