May 10, 2014

Another Hallmark holiday...Mother's Day

Not that someone didn't have good intentions, I guess. Maybe I'm just getting old, or wiser to the world. Hallmark has made me cynical of all the holidays, except maybe Halloween. I see beyond the bright faces encouraging you not to forget Mom. Buy a card, buy flowers, buy jewelry...buy, buy, buy. If one day a year is when you celebrate your Mom, and you have a good relationship, you're doing it wrong. I love that my sons have/will do nice things for me in honor of Mother's Day. But it isn't the only time...and if they didn't, I would know that they still love me. If you are all bright eyed over Mother's Day, you may want to stop reading here as I may rain of your parade.

Unfortunately, Mother's Day isn't all smiling faces, flowers, cards and cookouts for everybody. Those are the people my heart aches for with all the Hallmark reminders of what a perfect life is supposed to look like. The pain all the worse when the entire world seems to be telling you to be happy. Many have lost their Moms and Mother's Day just rubs salt in the wound. Others want to have a reason to celebrate Mother's Day, but have been unable to have the child they want so much. Thanks Hallmark for the reminder. Still, there are the women that have lost children. I imagine Mother's Day in heartrending for them as well. Or, what if, you have children and that relationship has been torn apart for some reason?

Do you make a card for that Hallmark?

No comments: