November 29, 2013

Merry Christmas to me.

I bought myself a new camera today. Ordered it anyway. It was a splurge, and more than I had hoped to spend. At least it was on sale, so $80 less than it would have been...and way outside of my splurge comfort zone. I have always had a fondness for cameras. I have an old Nikon, you know, the antique kind that take film. I had lenses for it that I could read a license plate from a block away...a very long block.

I bought my first digital camera about 6-7 years ago. It's been a good camera, even at a measly 5 megapixels (less than the camera on my phone) and 4x zoom. What amazes me, is the camera can still be purchased, at $699! I assure you, I paid nowhere near that for it. I think I paid for it new, only a bit more than it costs now, used. I have seldom bought anything that has held it's value as well.

So why did I finally update?



Lack of zoom, for catching close ups, usually in nature and the moon. I think I could pour salt on a dark surface and it would look the same as my current full moon photos. The new camera has a whopping 30x optical  and 4x digital zoom. One reviewer said it could capture the craters on the moon. I won't be looking for aliens with my camera, but at least the moon will be identifiable.

Lack of megapixels, I am guessing, is why, when I crop photos, they look grainy and I get a warning when I try to print them. I am hoping 16 megapixels will make that better.

So I'll have a new toy to play with. I love learning how to with something new.

No comments: