June 01, 2012

I have changed

Not that everybody notices. It's been a gradual thing. I know I am different. There are specific events from the past that I would not tolerate today. I am stronger, more self assured. Thirty years ago, I was told I'd have to leave the hospital, visiting hours were over. My husband was still sedated from emergency surgery. He had no idea what had happened...or how close he had been to a real tragedy. I picked up my purse and quietly went home. He awoke later, alone and confused. Fifteen years ago, I started a new job. They asked what name I wanted on my name tag. They used my first name instead. I pinned it on and got used to it. Neither of these would happen now. Now, I would be polite, but firm, with the nurse that I was staying until my husband woke. I have no doubt that she would have agreed. I have a look and a tone of voice that few people will argue with. Now, I would take the name tag to HR and politely, but firmly, make sure they had the spelling of my middle name correct...though the first name really did work out better.

No comments: