November 01, 2016

A new ribbon

I have a new ribbon to add to the collection. I am none too happy about it, but have been telling myself, it could be worse. It can almost always be worse. But it is hard to be told that you have a life long, potentially debilitating, disease. I found out yesterday and started treatment today. Fortunately, that has gone smoothly. The treatment is scary. Not treating isn't an option. I haven't decided yet to tell, I am usually pretty open, but I am afraid this will carry some stigma. I don't want to be treated like I am fragile. I am not, yet. I just saw a meme that says, Good news, it isn't cancer. Bad news, you'll have to take chemo the rest of your life. Fun, huh? The doctor explained that cancer gets it by the bucketful, I only have to take a thimbleful. Every week. Forever. Just a thimbleful of poison. No big deal, right? And because I will be taking poison, I get another pill for side effects, so maybe my mouth won't erupt in sores, or my hair won't fall out, or I won't throw up. You know, all those chemo side effects. No, I am not dealing with this very well. I don't even have the option of, maybe I'll get better. I guess, I should be grateful there is treatment. That maybe, I get to keep doing the things I enjoy.

No comments: