December 03, 2015

Life Quotes versus Real Living



I recently heard a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote that I really liked--

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.


It made me think of another favorite passage, from Robert Frost--

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.


And that leads me to another Robert Frost--

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.


I obviously have a fascination with the woods. I'd say I was in good company. I think the reason the the quote struck a chord with me, is I have struck out into the woods where no trail existed. This usually involves me bleeding, pulling thorns from my skin, god only knows what from my hair and clothing; and occasionally actually getting, sort of, lost. Not surprisingly, it is very difficult to make way, where there is no way made. Yes, yes, I know, I am not supposed to take it literally. But this is MY path.







I stayed on my own path and did not follow the herd. I made a way for myself--Eartha Kitt




No comments: