July 22, 2014

Discovering exercise

I have joined a gym...twice. I would go, spend an hour, probably half of it wandering and wondering what to do next. For the most part, I hated it. I hated the girls that were made up way too much to dare break a sweat. I hated the testosterone laden grunting. I hated the leering glances between the two. I hated trying to take a private shower in a public place. I hated walking out in sweaty clothes. Most of all, I hated going back out to go to the gym once I was home from work.

Over the last couple of years, the weight had started creeping back up. I was knocking at the all time high weight that I swore I would never, ever, see again. So after much thought, probably over the course of a year, I bought a treadmill. It was not my first investment in exercise equipment, which is why it took so much thought. There is a lot of dusty equipment around my house. A treadmill would be my largest financial investment, and I had to be sure it wasn't a reason to keep the door shut.

Bought the treadmill the first part of May. Got a good deal on a Fitbit Flex, which arrived May 21. On June 19, I finished my first 5K. I walked it, no speed barriers broken, but I did it. I finished it. I had enough energy to sprint at the end. I danced afterwards and even went for a walk when my Fitbit said I needed 2000 more steps to hit the 15,000 step goal for the first time.

I have walked over 3 miles, on top of my daily steps, three of the last four days. The exercise is beginning to feel like a reward in itself. Great stress relief. I think it will be a habit. 

Plus, I'm down 12 pounds. Heading in the right direction.

No comments: